Guidelines for Honoring the Game
Here are a few ways parents can contribute to a positive athletic environment so
that children will keep having fun and keep returning to lacrosse, where they can
learn the life lessons they will need long after their sports careers end.
Before the Game:
1. Make a commitment to “Honor the Game” in action and language no
matter what others may do.
2. Tell your children before each game that you are proud of them regardless
of how well they play.
During the Game:
1. Fill your children's "Emotional Tanks."
2. Don't yell instructions during the game. Let coaches coach.
3. Cheer good plays by both teams.
4. Mention good calls by the referee to other parents.
5. If a referee makes a "bad" call against your team, Honor the Game -- be
6. If other parents yell at the referees, gently remind them to Honor the
7. Don't do anything in the heat of the moment that you will regret after the
game. Ask yourself, "Will this embarrass my child or the team?"
8. Remember to have fun! Enjoy the game.
After the Game:
1. Thank the referees for doing a difficult job for little or no pay.
2. Thank the coaches for their commitment and effort.
3. Remind your children again that you are proud of them --win or lose.